Friday, July 18, 2008

Transit of Earth



This is an awe-inspiring sight! On May 29, while we were far below in Washington, the Deep Impact spacecraft filmed the Moon passing in front of Earth from 31 million miles! On July 4, 2005 this mission sent the first impactor to a comet. Now called EPOXI, the mission has been extended to flyby comet Hartley-2 in 2010. Now we see first-hand that the Moon has about as much land area as Africa, and the lunar farside has few maria. Can you see your home?

The Angry Astronomer steps in to host the Carnival of Space!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Alix A. Haygood said...

Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. Many thanks for sharing your excellent Free Government Tablet Assurance Wireless

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page