Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Apple iPhone


Isn't this cool? The iphone will combine functions of a telephone, camera, computer and wireless device. They told me it will have desktop-like computing ability, meaning it can run most scientific functions. The 3.5 inch screen should make "Starry Night" very useful on observing nights.

Over 30 years ago Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle wrote THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE. The crew of their starship had pocket computers, which combined similiar functions in a pen-based device, with handwriting recognition. The iPhone uses an interactive touch screen, finger-based. Another Sci Fi dream come true. Now we must work on the starship. Talking computers like HAL would be nice too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gebar said...

Hi Louise, everybody.

Louise, sorry for the off topic (re)post. Just wanted to mention that the new site is ready for visitors at last (Visual Physics).

Not all content is in place yet, lots of "stub" articles, but it's a good start. You are all invited to browse and contribute. Special invitation to Kea and Carl. Cheers!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Rae Ann said...

And I thought I was all Star Trek cool ;-) when I got my Nextel phone several years ago that has the 'walkie-talkie' (they call it 'direct connect') function that was like a Communicator. I could walkie-talkie my husband in TN when I was in NYC. I'd be real impressed if the iphone had that function too. ;-)

11:43 AM  
Blogger nige said...

The problem with these toys is you need small fingers or a stylus to use them - tiny touch sensitive screens - so only kids and women can use them effectively.

BTW, I've been in email contact with Dr Mario Rabinowitz whose paper “Weighing the Universe and Its Smallest Constituents,” IEEE Power Engineering Review 10, No.11, 8-13 (1990), is the earliest I’m aware of which comes up with a general result equal to Louise Riofrio’s equation MG = tc^3.

It's quite exciting that various different physical approaches agree on the basic facts.

1:19 PM  
Blogger L. Riofrio said...

Thanks again Gebar (and Rae Ann and Nige)

Rae Ann, Apple also announced a deal for the Paramount film library, which means we may see the STAR TREK movies on iTines.

Nige, the iPhone us finger-based, so there is no stylus to lose. I have heard that there are other equations similiar to mine in the literature. I don't know if anyone has used the R = ct bit yet.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page