Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Low Flight


Some blog features are being tested today, with video of the VC-25 flyby of New York City. You can hear terrified New Yorkers yelling as the plane recklessly buzzes lower Manhattan. The specially outfitted Boeing 747-200's are not officially called "Air Force One" unless the President is aboard. How much carbon-filled exhaust was put into the atmosphere by this photo stunt?

Previously this blog has reported on progress with aviation and the 747. As these aircraft are getting older and difficult to maintain, the US is now seeking a new presidential aircraft. The leading contender is the fuel efficient 747-8, with the 787 also a possibility. While Boeing has orders for nearly 1000 of the 787, they have sold only 106 of the improved 747. Only 20 firm orders, from Lufthansa, are for the passenger version. 8 orders are for executive aircraft, probably to the Middle East, which may point the way to the next president's plane.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger CarlBrannen said...

Video worked perfectly. I don't have a TV and while I'd heard on the radio about the flyover, I had no idea they were THAT low until I saw it on your video. It takes a complete idiot to file an illegal flight plan like that. If I did it in a private plane they'd take my license and throw me in jail.

Sigh. It makes me wonder just how much stuff is going on that we don't know about. I wonder what goes on that we don't know about. I don't mean to imply that only one political party or the other ignores common sense and laws when they are in office more than the other, but they do appear to do it in slightly different ways.

1:24 PM  
Blogger L. Riofrio said...

HI Carl: I am glad that you saw this waste of your taxes.

"It takes a complete idiot to file an illegal flight plan like that. If I did it in a private plane they'd take my license and throw me in jail."

Yes, if Riofrio did this in an F-14she would be busted for life. We know whose plane that is; they work on Pennsylvania Ave.

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page